What women can do for fuller thicker hair
Thick, full hair looks great on anybody, it opens the door to more hairstyles, and it just feels great when you run your fingers through it. While there are a lot of “get thick quick” tricks out there, not all of them are legitimate. Here, we’re going to break down ways for you to get fuller-looking, thicker-feeling hair. Really. Because you deserve the hair you want at any age.
What causes hair to thin over 50?
As we age, our hair can look thinner, duller, and lose its gorgeous gloss. This is due to a few reasons:
- Most people shed around 100 hairs a day when they’re young, but as we age, and especially 50+, we start shedding more. This can be a combination of menopause, when hair-growing hormones aren’t produced as rapidly, and our bodies process nutrients less efficiently, which not only slows hair growth but can cause our strands to look duller and less shiny.
- It’s true – all those hairstyles, colors, and tight updos you’ve been rocking might come at a cost. When we add heat, color, or friction to our hair, it can cause it to break or dry out. Over time, this can get worse and worse.
- (No sacrifices here, ladies, you don’t have to give up your favorite looks to get thick and gorgeous hair. Just keep reading!)
- Stressed because you’re losing hair? Losing hair because of stress? This is a total catch-22, but it is proven that stress can make your gorgeous locks a little thinner than they used to be. The good news is, once you’re feeling less stressed, the hair you have lost usually comes back.
- Lack of sleep
- They call it beauty sleep for a reason. If you’re losing strands because you’re losing sleep, or losing sleep because you’re losing strands, not getting enough sleep can really do damage to your luscious locks.
Tips for fuller, thicker hair
Whatever the cause of your hair loss is, you can help get that full hair you love to run your fingers through.
Tip #1: Use a hair thickening shampoo and conditioner combo.
This is one of the easiest ways to give yourself thicker strands. Look for a combo that adds fullness to your strands without weighing down your hair, while giving you the nutrients your hair needs to shine. If you're 50+, try a formula made with specific ingredients for your hair.
Tip #2: Use a hair thickening treatment
A good hair thickening treatment doesn’t just give you the appearance of fuller hair it also strengthens and protects your hair to reduce breakage over time. We especially love formulas with caffeine, which can give the thickener a little boost.
Tip #3: Reduce stress
Easier said than done, right? Take some time out for self-care and you may start to notice your hair looking healthier. Yoga, long baths, hair and skin masks – find little moments to treat yourself and take a break from the everyday stressors. Because when you feel good, you look good.
Tip #4: Lay off the heat
We know, we know, you’ve been hearing this since you were a teenager. But it’s as true now as it was then! Any type of heat, whether it be from curling wands and straightening irons, blow driers, perms, bleach, or even the sun, can damage your strands. You don’t have to give up your style completely, just plan for a few rest days.
About our Full & Vibrant collection A Volumizing Shampoo, Volumizing Conditioner, and Thickening Treatment come together to weightlessly cleanse, nourish, and instantly thicken your strands. The Thickening Treatment benefits are progressive: It thickens each strand immediately and penetrates the hair overtime to fight breakage. The result? Thicker-looking hair that looks as if you’ve added 6500 more strands!